Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Traversing Rainforests and Farming Fincas

The climb to Mt. Chirripo was incredible. When I reached the top at 6am Saturday morning, it literally took my breath away. I could see the neighboring mountains, but overall I was above the cloud level. I was really glad I wore my three long sleeves and fleece pants! One guy said it was 0 or 2 degrees F on his thermometer, plus the wind factor!

The Costa Rican alpine is also unique. Trees are sparce and the plant life resembles Yosemite. Though I felt like I was surrounded by lupines, indian paintbrush, and manzanitas, they looked different and were likely evolutionary cousins!

Pics:
1. At the base of Chirripo
2. Top of Chirripo - so cold!

I spent an extra day in San Gerardo, the small town at the base of the Parque Nacional. I spent 5 hours in the morning hiking around Cloud Bridge - www.cloudbridge.org - a free cloud rainforest preserve neighboring the park. A New York couple bought the land and decided to share it with the public, researchers, and volunteers! In less than 2 hours, I hiked to 3 large waterfalls, a large track of cloudforest, and some farmland. I even indulged, at the owners´encouragement, in the land´s edible berries and fruits!

Starting today I will be volunteering at Finca Pasiflora - www.finca-pasiflora.org. I will be there for about a week. And then - off to the Carribean Coast and a rafting adventure on Rio Pacuare.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Molly,

Congrats on your climb! It's one of my goals, but I'll have to wait until my tendinitis in my left foot clears up. Yup, that's what's wrong with it.

When on the Caribbean coast I hope you get down to Manzanillo below Puerto Viejo.

Henry and Perla say hello.

Gene