I'm back on my feet. Today, I did both hiking loops in MonteVerde National Park, an incredible example of primary cloud rainforest. It was wet, temparate, and muddy. Highlights: witnessing a beautiful cascada, standing on the continental divide (with a cloudy view of the Caribbean and the Pacfic, AKA a view of a white "wall"), and seeing the rare and magnificent Quetzal (bird).
After my 4 1/2 hour hike, I walked 2 miles back to town. I ate a delicious veggie cheese quiche and brownie at Stella's Bakery (and bought a few extra goodies for my long bus ride tomorrow!). From there, I took another detour up 3 different roads trying to find the perfect view of the Pacific Ocean and Nicoya Peninsula. Unlike the cloud forests of MonteVerde and Santa Elena, the actual towns nearby are warm, dry, and clear. My uphill trek took about 2 more hours - luckily a friendly couple from Holland offered me a ride back to Santa Elena.
Yesterday, I went to MonteVerde's neighboring Park, Santa Elena. There I traversed 8 different brides that go 155+ feet over primary growth cloud rainforest. I also completed the 2 loop trails - it rained a lot but I stayed dry under the leaves.
Unlike Yosemite National Park where you could hike different trails for days, each Costa Rica Park or Reserve only has 1 to 3 loop trails. On the bright side, one day in each park and I've traversed it all! When I arrived on Monday, I also went on a night walk in Monteverde's Children's Eternal Forest. I saw sleeping birds, tarantulas, monkeys, and a few other mammals - including a sloth!
As luck would have it, I've spent the last few days with a friendly gal from Australia, Caroline. I acually met her on the bus last Friday to La Fortuna, but we reconnected over the weekend. Because she was headed towards Monteverde Monday, I decided to stay an extra day in La Fortuna. One of the best free days of my life! I decided to be a Tica for a day: I watched the tourists bungee jump, I went to a local swimming hole (rope swing and cascada included!), and I decompressed at the local church (Jesus was floating in a mural of clouds - how could I not stay for awhile?!?).
Tomorrow I head the popular, but majestic Manuel Antonio. I've decided to skip Costa Rica's Waikiki - Nicoya Peninsula - and head straight to the central Pacific beaches.
I've also mapped out my next four weeks ~ it will be busy and exciting! Playa Uvita. Osa Peninsula. Volunteering for a Finca. A 3-day trek to Mount Chirripo - Costa Rica's highest peak. A few days on the Carribean Beaches - Cahuita and Puerto Viejo. And, if time, rafting, waterfall, or volcano excursions in Central Costa Rica!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment