Monday, March 10, 2008

Crossing the Border

I arrived in Panama yesterday. I literally got off a bus, checked in at the two country offices, and walked across a bridge. Before crossing the border, I spent a few days in Cahuita and Puerto Viejo, two small beach party towns along the Caribbean southern coast line. They had some beautiful beaches, but I only needed a full day to walk the town, peruse Cahuita´s coastal national park, and snorkel the reefs.

I´m currently in Bocas del Toro. It also has some beautiful beaches and snorkeling opportunities. Today I went to Playa Drago, which was highly recommended by some travellers I met yesterday. I wasn´t terribly impressed - starfish are a regular sighting from my childhood! Nonetheless, the town is laid back and tranquilo - though the spring breakers keep the place active in the wee hours.

I´ve spent the last four days travelling with Marketta - an awesome gal from San Diego. We met on the bus to Cahuita from San Jose last Friday. We have also signed up to raft Pacuarre this Wednesday (yippee!). On Thursday I will spent a little time in the City at museums before my flight to Guatemala in the afternoon.

I´ve had a range of sleeping arrangements over the course of this trip. I´ve slept in family homes, dorms, budget hotels, and even a hammock! Though I must say a hot shower has become very special privilege!

No comments: