Monday, January 14, 2008

Leaving on a Jet Plane

One more day before departure.  Like the 5 stages of grief, I feel like there are 5 stages I've gone through before my adventure.

Stage 1 (2-4 months prior to departure): Excitement.  I bought my ticket.  I'm going.  I'm really going.  Nobody can give me grief for not following through (especially my co-workers and Mae :) ).  Let the planning begin!

Stage 2 (2-4 weeks prior): Sadness.  Lull in planning, lull in socializing, and lull in productivity.

Stage 3 (1-2 weeks prior): Panic.  Did I really just lose my driver's license and my visa? (Yes, really, last Thursday.  Thank goodness for rush order.)  Last minute errands, people visiting, and film attending.  As always, I try and pack it all in.  

Stage 4 (2-3 days prior): Contemplative.  I'm going to be gone awhile.  What will be different when I return?  How will I be different?  It's sad saying goodbyes.

Stage 5 (now until departure): Eager.  Ok, I can go now.  Please :)?

By the way... the Wild and Scenic Environmental Film Festival (www.wseff.org) was incredible and life-changing.  Favorites: King Corn, The Price of a Cup of Coffee, and A Land Out of Time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow. Tell me about it sister! I'm moving to Japan to teach and boy am I excited. With about a month and a half to go, I wonder if I too will go through these stages.

It's really cool to see that you're doing this. I can wait to see what you learn and do!

Much love,

Trish